I really need to be working on my talk for Sunday right now, but I did promise a follow-up to Monday's blog and so here it is...
Last night I cooked for Krista. Yes, I cooked. If you know anything about me you are probably on the floor right now knocked out by the weight of that revelation. It is true though, I cooked. It was risky, it was dangerous, it was near disastrous, but in the end it was absolutely fantastic.
Hear is the rundown of the day leading up to the climatic entry of Krista into the apartment:
6:10 Wake-up to seek Krista off to school and to get ready for the day
6:45 Out the door to meet B for accountability
8:00 Off to my office to create an incredible Valentines play list including DMB, Amos Lee, Patty Griffin, Robin Ella, Norah Jones, Micheal Buble & Ryan Adams.
9:00 Head to HEB to get the goods
9:20 I manage to drop a thing of Romain lettuce on the ground. I quickly regain my composure dust it off and put it back on the rack and grab a new one.
10:15 Drop off the goods at the Leydens and marinade the pork loin with Chuck
10:45 Quick run to Garden Ridge to get white pillar candles and rose pedals
11:15 Drive home quickly for I am running late and have a lot of cleaning and decorating to do.
12:35 Leave the apartment looking like the final scene of the bachelor and head off to enjoy Krista's Valentine present for me...a message from Message Envy. Very nice.
2:00 Walk slowly for I am very relaxed out to my car and then head off to Chuck's casa.
2:05 Begin cooking up a storm with the incredible chef we know as Chuck Leyden
2:10 Get the fire going on the grill
2:20 Begin cooking a chocolate chip cookie dough cheesecake in the shape of a heart. Not kidding.
2:50 Put the well marinated pork loin on the grill.
3:10 Stick the Cheesecake in the oven and begin working on the mashed potatoes
3:45 I break the Leyden's disposal trying to dispose of way too many potato skins at once.
3:55 Chuck breaks out the plunger from the hall bathroom to unclog the kitchen sink. I watch in amazement.
4:00 The sink is back to working, we take the cheesecake out of the oven to cool and the pork loin off the grill. Everything looks incredible.
4:15 I begin making chocolate covered strawberries.
4:30 I begin making green bean casserole.
4:35 I begin loading my car with all the goods and head back home.
4:50 I unload the car and begin to light candles. I must have 100 candles lit in this house. The likelihood that are apartment burns down before Krista get to see it is 2:1.
5:15 Krista calls telling me she is here.
5:17 I open the door and Krista walks in. She is speechless. This year's love wins.
The rest of the evening was amazing. The food was incredible. She was blown away. I have to admit I really thought there was no way things would turn out as well as they did. God was obviously looking out for me. Chuck was proof of that. So there you go, that was Valentines Day. Bring on next year.
Thursday, February 15, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
9 comments:
Wow. I am super impressed. And heck, I'm not even your wife. So she had to know you loved her. Maybe one day a guy will love me enough to drop a head of romaine lettuce, break a disposal, and almost burn down an appartment complex in the pursuit of impressing me. Dang.
After a few minutes of awe, I have got to ask you a question: what the heck is a rose pedal? and what was the relaxing and envious message that you got as a valentines present??
And the I must say that Chuck Leyden gets major kudos for helping Jake out. Jake I'm proud of you, and I'm glad you had the culinary skills of CL at your disposal...See ya tomorrow morning.
First of all, wow, Jake, we are angry at you for setting the standards higher for the rest of us men. Secondly, wow, cooking, I can cook cereal, and anything in the microwave, does that count? Once again, wow!
Secondly, a rose petal (Box must have misspelled "petal" as "pedal"). It is the flowering part of a rose. You peel them off and put them on stuff. They smell good and are supposed to be romantic.
Ok, I have a question.
Why Norah Jones?
I must say that when I walked in and saw you dipping strawberries and baking cheese cake at the Ledens I was slightly flabbergasted. I don't think the "I reallly wish I knew what I was doing" expression left your face the entire time. I was trying hard not to bust up laughing.
I'm so glad I don't have to deal with Valentine's Day..
You're going to make some poor little child very sick for putting back that head of lettuce.
I bet that poor kid will be in Krista's class and she, in turn, will be forever traumatized. Go ahead everyone; let the "mean" and "heartless" comments flow forth.
I did brush the lettuce off. Doesn't that make putting it back okay?
It sounds to me that you are taking a lot of credit for a delicious meal that was prepared by the Chuckster
Post a Comment