Obviously things have changed a bit with my blog. There is not a lot of rhyme or reason for the change other than I just wanted to. And since it is my blog that was a good enough reason for me. I am not completely done with it yet. I am trying to get Colin to help me add a few more upgrades to it. My hope is that it will turn out nicely by the end of this week...but don't hold your breath. Feel free to let me know what you think or if you have any other ideas of cool things I should add.
So Sunday I led the high school girls discussion group. I know. Krista was sick, Beth was out of town, Kristin was home with Aliaya, who was sick, and so I stepped in. Now I thought this wouldn't be such a big deal. I am their youth pastor. Turns out I was wrong. As soon as I announced that I would be the one leading their discussion time nervous energy filled the room. As I watched the girls fill the pink room each expression was priceless. It was as if I was invading their safe place and they didn't know what to do about it. Nervous laughter, quick glances from girl to girl, no eye contact with me...if I didn't know better I would have thought I had food all over my face or something.
As I began to ask questions to the girls I learned pretty quickly that an amazing phenomenon occurs as soon as they walk into the pink room. Amazingly, these girls forget how to formulate sounds into words and words into sentences. And here I was thinking girls were the more talkative sex. Instead I found that the junior high guys could talk these girls into the ground. It would be no contest. Jonathan Baker could single handedly make these girls ears bleed before they managed to say one sentence. Sure the jr. high guys talk about dumb things 99% of the time, but hey, at least they talk. Three girls said something during our 15 minutes in the pink room. Three girls out of 11. To no one's surprise I talked the most. I didn't want to be talking so much but I couldn't handle the silence much less the nervous giggling. Words had to be said.
At the end of the discussion time I left the room to round up the other groups. Instead of being followed out by the girls they stayed in the room and closed the door. What was that? I know they couldn't have begun talking to each other. I wonder if they began to sign to each other or just make gestures like they were playing some kind of game. Whatever they were doing it left me felling pretty curious.
I tell you this just to say that it was quite the new experience for me. I also bring this up in case one of those girls wants to tell me what was really going on in there. I need to know if it is true that you all forget how to talk and are left only to laugh nervously. I need to know if you are always that quiet and if you are, then why? Because, I have to tell you, it is not normal. And finally I need to know what was said, or gestured or signed, when I left the room once the discussion time was over. So someone help me out. Feel me in. The mystery of the pink room is killing me.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
I must say Box, you look rather dashing in your new photo. Would this suggest that your profile is a functioning piece of your blog, or is it still a mystery to you? And why does your color scheme so closely resemble burnt orange? How worried should I be?
Ahh the mysteries of the pink room. Kind of like our own little Bermuda Triangle. I'm sure we could whip up a conspiracy theory documentary. Maybe the nearby soundboard emits subsonic wave frequencies that interfere with the verbal communication section of brain. Just look at all the usual soundboard operators; all eerily silent. (cue x-files theme)
Box, I'm gone for two weekends and everything goes crazy on me...Sheesh. Anyways Baker is quite the talkative one indead. During the camping trip I overheard him and Kyle McKinley rambling on about tedious nothingness, and get this-I was a good 500 yards away. Good news is I shall make a return this upcoming sunday with my long-haired Kimosoabi (aka Jake Franklin). So don't worry too much my young Longhorn-paiged-Aggie-friend, for the balance will be restored soon. Baker will ramble, girls will chatter, and Seanzy will be filling the room with his pure amazingness...(Bring on the wisecracks).
First of this page is not Longhorn colors. The main color is brown. Brown is not t.u.'s color. Second of all another color that is utilized beautifully is baby blue, also not a color of previously said school. So you can say dumb things like, "your color scheme so closely resembles burn orange" but just by saying it does not make it true. It being true makes it true and my good friends, it is not true. Secondly, Sean I can't wait for you to grace us with your presence again. Though I would come just short of describing it as pure amazingness. I might choose words like pride-fullness or humility-not-fullness or my favorite...Seanzyness.
You're pretty much full of it Box. First thought on the site was - "Hmm... looks a bit on the Longhorn side for Box, don't you think?"
Baby blue or not, it does give a first impression of UT. Hey, what can I say though- I love orange. Whenver I wear my orange shirt, first thought from everyone who knows me is "Why are you wearing a UT shirt?". Response: it's just a freaking orange shirt!
Loving the new blog though. Should keep us very involved.
Box, these people are all on something, it looks nothing like TU colors. If anything, the brown reminds me of tea. I think I'll sip some now.
jake i will clue you in. are you ready for all the info i am about to give we are just kool like that.
Hey Box,
I know this sounds weird but we girls are kind of quiet on Sunday morn. Come back Wed and we will be more talkative than anyone, including Baker! So I say, bring on the chatter!
Very nice look for the place Box. I like it. Now would be the time for me to crack some wise about the colleges UT and A&M, but no such verbage shall pass your...eyes. And I'm not sure that verbage is a word. The point is I just don't care right now, and I want to go to bed. But blogs need to be read, the bible needs to be studied (rather I need to study the bible), and sleep needs to be had...got...taken from the...cluches of...awakefulness...or something. Something like that. yeah...
Post a Comment