So I started Velvet Elvis by Rob Bell last night. I am about half way through it and it is a thinker. For different reasons Rob Bell rubs me wrong, but he does have some interesting things to say in this book. He loves to question things. I am afraid that he enjoys questioning things more than he enjoys proclaiming the truth, but he does bring a new perspective. I am reading this book so I can really know more about this guy and what he is saying. He seems to be a pretty big deal in Christian circles right now and so I thought I better find out why. Anyway, this is what I am reading right now. I'll let you know what I think about it when I finish.
Wednesday, March 07, 2007
Velvet Elvis?
So I started Velvet Elvis by Rob Bell last night. I am about half way through it and it is a thinker. For different reasons Rob Bell rubs me wrong, but he does have some interesting things to say in this book. He loves to question things. I am afraid that he enjoys questioning things more than he enjoys proclaiming the truth, but he does bring a new perspective. I am reading this book so I can really know more about this guy and what he is saying. He seems to be a pretty big deal in Christian circles right now and so I thought I better find out why. Anyway, this is what I am reading right now. I'll let you know what I think about it when I finish.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I SO FREAKEN' TOLD YOU THAT!
I told you he had intersting thoughts.
But no, "He's a heratic so you shouldn't even be reading that book."
Glad you can see my perspective.
Rob Bell has a lot of good things to say. But I am wary of him for a couple of reasons that we can talk about at a later date. Overall I think God is doing a lot of good things through his ministry and we should pray for him and his church. I pray that he holds fast to some of the claims he has made right now as I am afraid that the path he is on may take him away from truth. But after reading his stuff and interacting with other on him I would not say he is a heretic. Which is great news. I did read one guy, a highly respected proffesor who spends a great deal of time reviewing Bell that i thought was excellent. I will provide the link below if you are more interested in Bell and why I do come across wary of the guy. The link is: http://benwitherington.blogspot.com/2007/02/velvet-elvis-and-king-has-he-left.html
I encourage you to continue to read Bell's stuff with an eye to accuracy and truth, but an eye also to application and love.
Post a Comment