Every Monday I am going to jot down a few thoughts I had about The Gathering. My hope is that you will do the same. I would like this to become a sort of forum for you, as the students, to let me know what you connect with and what you wish we could do differently. Since the whole point of The Gathering is to provide a time where students are challenged to grow in their relationship with Christ and provided the opportunity to worship God in an environment that is welcoming and accepting I need to here from you if that is happening or not. So, I will tell you what I think each Monday and, like I said, I hope you will tell me what you think as well...just don't try to hurt my feelings.
Personally, I am really enjoying the current series. Anytime I get to talk on a topic that I feel the vast amount of the world has wrong it is fun for me. In this case I don't enjoy it because I get to be right, but because this topic really affects our view of God. If you see God as someone always restricting you and holding His authority over your head you are not going to be drawn to worship Him. On the other hand, if you see Him as someone who loves you so much that He has taken the time to point out the best way for you to go then that realization alone is enough to cause you to want to worship.
Having said that, I thought I went a bit long on Sunday. I tend to do that when I get excited about what I am talking about. For those of you who come to first service and second service I am sure it can get old just sitting there and listening. So, I am sorry I went long. I hope you still got what I was saying and it has stuck with you.
Speaking of the talk sticking with you, that is one big thing I would like your feedback on. If you find yourself listening to me and then walking out of the church and already forgetting what was said I need to know that. If that is happening I am really going to need to change some things. The point of the talk is not fill time, but to lead to life change and you being challenged to grow. If you can't remember how you have been challenged then that isn't working so well. So let me know if you are retaining what I am saying.
As for the rest of The Gathering I really appreciate Jake, Zack and Devin filling in for Jason while he has been out pulling a Wedding Crasher. I thought it was very cool how most of you worshipped along with them. Leading worship in front of a good group of people can be hard but what I really liked with those guys is they brought God the best they had. And God loves that. I hope to see that attitude grow within our youth ministry. That every week we would come to worship God with the best we have.
As for the welcoming environment I think you guys are doing a great job with that. I love getting to see you hanging out before we begin talking with one another and chilling. I also heard that the Sr. High girls group did a little more talking in the Pink Room this Sunday. Krista promised it was true but I'm not sure I entirely convinced yet. But I was glad to hear that. It is on you, as the students, to really determine how welcoming the group is. So keep up the good work.
Anyway, that is some of my thoughts from Sunday. I would love to hear what yours are. You don't have to write a book or anything, but do give more than, "it was great" or "it was fine." Tell me what you like and don't like and tell my why if you can figure that out. I would love your help in making The Gathering the best we can for God's glory and your spiritual growth. So talk to me.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Hmmmm...should I be honest?
And the correct answer is YES.
I don't mind the sitting and listening. I acutally really enjoy it. I think it's cool hearing people like Mr Sr Pastor and you talk about God's word. As for retaining, it takes people like my sister to go "so, what did you think of Jake's talk on Sunday?" to make me think about it again. But that's just me I think.
As for this series in general, it's good for me to hear what I've been taught since I was a wee little bairn again, and in Box talk. But it is stuff that I know. Obedience isn't the thing that's hard for me, and I know that it is the best thing for me. I know that. It's obeying with the right attitude, knowing who to obey, how I should obey, things like that that I struggle with. So the series isn't really stretching me right now. But the stuff I need in the obedience area isn't so much knowledge and perspective shift so much as it is accountability and keeping my heart attitude in check. And those are two things that I don't think you can give in a sermon. So over all, it is a really good review, and I'm praying that God will show me areas that I need to work on, and that He will show me things I didn't see before. I don't think there is anything you should change.
So that's feed back.
I thought that it was pretty cool. One of the Sundays came just in time for me to be reminded to obey the leadership that God has put in authority. Well that is another comment...
Post a Comment