What's the Youth Pastor Thinking?

A blog for two14 Student Minstries Southwest

Monday, August 28, 2006

Your blogs and other happenings

Ah Monday. Another week, another blog. And a little bit more of what I have been thinking...

Last night was weird. As y'all know Krista went to go visit her parents this weekend and so I was stag all weekend. Sunday after church I grabbed a meal at the Christensen's casa which is always delightful because Cynthia can cook. After lunch I headed home to watch Tiger win his fifth straight golf tournament and catch up on some rest. The best Sunday afternoon naps are brought on by golf tournaments. I also found some time to crunch a few more numbers for pending Fantasy Football draft that was to take place at 8:00 that very night. Around five Krista called to say she was on her way back to me (music to my ears) but that she is going to have to meet me at our friends house that the draft was to be held, which is in NW Austin. She said a few things about being tired and stressed and wishing she didn't have to drive to NW Austin and back that night and then back there in the morning for school. So, being the loving husband I am offered to call our friends (Joey and Beth LoSurdo) and ask if it was cool to spend the night at their place...Quickly after posing the idea a thought I'm an idiot. Of course Krista jumped all over that idea and asked me to give Joey a call. After hanging up with Krista I just stood there thinking thru what just happened. You see I have a personal rule about such happenings. My rule is I won't let me and Krista spend the night at a friends house when they live in the same town as me and Krista. The reason for this rule is because spending the night at a friend's house is cool when you are in jr. high or even high school. But when you are married and have a place to your own it is just weird. Especially when you live in the same town. Like if someone was coming from out town to visit I would think sure you can stay here with us. But if they live here in Austin, if their address is something something something Austin Texas, then that is just weird. At least that is how I feel. Feel free to comment.

Anyway, we ended up spending the night there and it was fine and they are great and I drafted an awesome fantasy team and Krista was happy so all was good. But I still feel weird. I broke my own rule and that is never something you want to do. Oh, well...maybe the weirdness will fade as the day goes on.

On another note, I read up on all of your blogs this morning and it was quite enjoyable. I have to say Jonathan's is by far the weirdest and that the Franklin kids can write some amazingly long blogs. I wonder if they get school credit for doing that? Just a thought. All in all though I was impressed and a little embarrassed at the lack of cool things on my blog. All you really get with me is words. With Colin you get music and videos and awesome links and pictures, that guy made my blog look dumb. And it hurt me. Hey Colin, help a brother out and make me look cooler than I obviously am. Please. I'm dying here.

So to sum up, I feel weird and not so cool. What a Monday. At least I have a sweet Fantasy Football team and cool kids in my youth group. Maybe I can just settle for being cool by association today...

Catch you cool cats later,

Jake

8 comments:

Jake said...

Well, um...you see...ok, I'll just say it: Your rule about spending the night is DUMB. Ok, there, I said it. I don't think it's that weird for people to spend the night at other people's house when they live in the same city. What is much weirder is when you have neighbors that want to spend the night. We not only share the same city, but the same zip-code, and we share the same mail box, and also the same culdisac. It's still pretty cool. And the best part is if they forget something, they can just walk across the street or two houses down and go get whatever they forgot. Across town really isn't that weird. Even when you a grown-up, because, you know, you can do whatever you want. You guys should go spend the night with the Emersons, just for the heck of it sometime. And just to make you feel better, you're still cool because your blog has more words in it than mine and Faith's combined.

faith said...

I'm sorry you feel wierd. But I can't really sympathize because I NEVER feel wierd. NOT. No, I know what you mean. But hey, suck up the spending the night thing, and remember how when you were our ages you could never ever spend the night at a friends house on a school night. I'm already planing on how when I'm in college, I am gonna spend the night when ever I flippin want to with my friends, especially maybe my room mate and other dorm people.

I thought your lesson yesterday was really good, and it was super convicting if that makes you feel cool. And the fashion show deal would have been totally awesome except that dude that's not my brother was in it...

And, I think you are gonna take Lindsay down in fantasy football. Jake, take heart and wuit bellyachin about how weird you feel, OK?

Anonymous said...

Get over it Jake, it's not that weird. Anyway, as far as the blog looking cooler, just tell me what you want. Send me a music file and I can put that on here too. Another thing that might be interesting is for you to do a video log, maybe bi-weekly or monthly. I think that would be totally sweet.

Anonymous said...

Okay, for now I added a hit counter and links to all the student's blogs (In no particular order- I don't want to get emails about it!). Hope that helps for now.

-Colin

Jonathan said...

I may have the weirdest blog but it has some of the most interesting things to talk about. I also have pictures and music as well as Colin. I would like to have some more respect around here. And now I would like to sy that I like Tikis (Tiki). Later!!!

~Jonathan

Jonathan said...

By the way, I have just put new music on my blog and Colin added a video to my most recent post!!!

Seanzy said...

Well I suppose it just wouldn't be a party until I posted a comment...or not. Hey Jake, what are you complaining about? You got your wife back, that should be enough, I mean I know other houses are unusual but you'd think you could get over it for Krista. But I see your point, and it is remotely valid, but at the same time just kinda sitting out there begging to be made fun of.

Secondly, it doesn't matter whether or not you have pictures or videos, all that matters is that you're informing us of your weekly adventures in an apealing way...well maybe a pic or two wouldn't hurt, but just to make sure you feel better, I find your blogs very entertaining.

Wednesday night football-be ready for some intense season opener action! Bring your 'A-Game' big guy and bring Gordan 'cause lets face it, he's a beast. That's it for now, we can nail down breakfast plans tomorrow night.

Anonymous said...

Jake, you and Krista can stay at our house anytime...I'll even let my dog wake you up by licking your face like he does to me and Stan.

And Faith, I am fearful that D-groups are going to be very hard for you this year unless you learn not to throw your leader under the bus like that...how 'bout showing a little love for the Big Fat Goalies (my Fantasy Football team that is going to make the Holliday Armadillos - Jake Box's Fantasy team - into road kill Week 1 of the season).