What's the Youth Pastor Thinking?

A blog for two14 Student Minstries Southwest

Monday, August 21, 2006

With every Monday comes a new blog. And with every new blog comes a Monday. It really depends on how you want to look at it. If you take option one then it is like, "Hey it is Monday and that stinks, but at least I have a new blog to look forward to." But if you take option two then it could be like, "There is a new blog today but that means it is Monday and Monday stinks." You see, it is all in how you look at it. I'd like to think you look at it like the first option. Like you would look forward to seeing that good looking girl in Math class and so you don't mind going to math class. You know what I'm talking about. Or like you look forward to getting to hear Jason lead worship on Sunday so you don't mind having to listen to...wait a minute. That doesn't work.

Jason was great this past Sunday, wasn't he? And that brings me to what I have been thinking lately. I have been thinking that we as a youth group don't do a great job worshipping God thru song on Sunday mornings. And that is disappointing. I don't know why that is really. For the most part our group is filled with students that really love God and spend time with Him regularly during the week and would say they want to glorify Him with their lives and their choices. Yet, when we get a chance to all get together and praise God as a youth group we kind of flounder. (Which is a great word.) Worship is a time for us to shout our allegiance too, praises for, and adoration of our God. Yet all too often we focus on ourselves during that time. It is like it is uncomfortable to sing in front of your friends or something. And it is. Especially if you have a bad voice like I do. And y'all all know I do. But I think that whole uncomfortable thing fits with what Phil has been saying lately. He keeps saying when we are moved out of our comfort zone we are often moved closer to God. How true that is for worshipping on a Sunday morning. When you forget about everyone else around you and you take a step out of your comfort zone and you start to sing or raise your hands or close your eyes or clap your hands or whatever and engage in worshiping our awesome God you move closer to Him. You maybe uncomfortable but you are saying I don't care, I am going to worship God and He loves that. In a very real sense that is worship. Just that attitude. Just that perspective.

So, this next Sunday worship. Worship God even though it is uncomfortable, worship God because it is uncomfortable and worship God as He moves you closer to Him as a result of moving you further away from your little it is all about me comfort zone. Plus, how you can you not worship with Jason rocking away up on stage each Sunday?

So, that's what I've been thinking. What do you think of that?

- Jake

7 comments:

Seanzy said...

Jake first off I must say that Jason was awesome. I mean I've never worshiped to 'Meant to Live' and I also must say that was another awesome experience. In fact I have a suggestion, instead of just 3 songs at the beginning or end of your messages on Sundays, why don't you have Jason come up before and after you speak hitting us with 6 chances to praise God. That oughtta get us out of our shells.

Aside from that, I have one more comment:

"I'd like to think you look at it like the first option. Like you would look forward to seeing that good looking girl in Math class and so you don't mind going to math class. You know what I'm talking about."
-I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about there. I fear that was an indirect shot to either Josh or me. None the less, get your facts strait...it's not math, it's really English. Just kidding.

Take Luck...

Anonymous said...

All very true Jake. Sunday worship was awesome with the Stillpoint Band and Jason leading the youth, and all of that's really cool. But worship isn't all about the music, it's about our hearts touching God's heart, and that is definately something we can do without fear of anyone around us, especially when we're all (as Paul puts it) "tuned into God with the same tuning fork", the same passion and reason. So there's my little input for this post. Nice job keeping it current Jake.

Jake said...

It sounds like Jason did pretty good. I wish I was there to worship with you guys (there is this whole Colorado thing going on right now...I'm workin' on it). I think that God has definitely been teaching me over the past few years that the only things that matter when I worship God are 1)God and 2)my heart attitude. As soon as I start thinking about what others think of me while I worship, it stops being worship. There, that is my contribution into this whole postymabobber thing, hoped you enjoyed it :p. I will see you guys Sunday.

Anonymous said...

BTW- I'd have to go with choice A too. At least we'll have Jake's blog to look forward to on long, hard Mondays!

-Colin

internetjason said...

well i definitely chose option A on the poll...to be torn to pieces by a lion. sorry mr. box.

on a serious note; i'm diggin what colin said about worship being more than music. music is a blast and a great expression of worship, but it's really all about the heart. in fact, its all about the life (romans 12:1,2).

i am stoked to be part of the worship at two14, i'm praying that god uses me and that everyone is able to dive into worship the way it's meant to be. you guys give me any feedback you can...tell me your favorite songs, let me know if its loud enough/too loud, let me know if you want to help out, etc.

peace,
jason

Jonathan said...

Hello!!!

internetjason said...

i'm not seeing a new post and it's tuesday!!!