Okay, here is my list of favorite summertime memories. I figured I will give you my list and then you can give me yours. We can compare notes and decide who has had the best summers so far. I will try to keep it fair and limit it to jr. high and high school memories since I have had so many more summers than all of y'all. So here it goes...my top 5 favorite jr. high and high school memories:
5. Schlitterbaghn 1998: My friends dared me to get inside of all of their tubes and let them role me down a huge hill right by a line of people waiting to get on the Hillside ride. I did it and it was a blast...well at least it was until I couldn't stop and I ran into a bunch of people. Good times.
4. Great Adventure 1996: The first bootcamp ever, we are in Waco and we are riding to go to a housing project to run a BYBC there. That year someone thought it was a good idea to use puppets in our gospel presentation. While doing the gospel presentation the kids stole our puppets in the middle of our presentation right off of our hands and then stole our puppet screen. While we were chasing them to get our stuff back they used our puppets to cuss us out. Nothing like a cussing puppet and a little adversity to make a great summer time memory.
3. Summer 1996: Ryan and I are bored and poor. All we have is a dollar between the booth of us, and thus the dollar game is born. We gallivant all over town placing that dollar in the weirdest places just to see what people will do to try to get it. Absolutely one of the greatest days of my life.
2. Summer 1999: On a missions trip to Mexico me and a couple of friends find a pool in the the middle in the poorest area of Juarez Mexico. The pool is packed with kids, like sardines in a can, we invite all of them to play soccer or "futbol" with us the next day and they say they will. We run back to our Pastor, Bobby, and tell him we need to put together a soccer tournament. We buy chalk and soccer balls and food and water and we line a giant field to make 5 soccer fields. The next day 150 people ages 8-20 show up for what turns out to be one of the coolest impromptu soccer tournaments ever. In the middle of it we sit everyone down and share the gospel. Over 40 put their faith in Christ. That was an amazing day.
1. Summer 1995: The first Great Adventure. I began to hangout with Ryan, I began to really fall in love with God as I served Him and I had a blast. In the first Great Adventure there were about 25-30 of us. We had all of our training at a families house that had kids in the group and a pool. Our whole group hung out together all summer long. The guys sang songs to the girls and the girls wrote the guys notes. The leaders had us play follow the leader to learn what it means to lead and to follow. Looking back at it all it was so goofy, yet it was awesome. That summer I got the opportunity to lead a couple of kids to the Lord. That was the coolest. Ever since then I have never missed a Great Adventure.
So that is my list of top 5 moments. And I have to say that I am pretty excited about this summer. I think it might top some of mine. But send me yours and we will see if you have already had some summers that top mine.
Jake
Monday, May 08, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Well, thinking back, I seem to have had some awesome summers, and some lame summers. Mostly lame though. The times were hard, the times were fun. The times were easy, the times were excessivly boring. Ah well.....
1. Shlitterbaghn 2005: Come on, it's Shlitterbaghn, how can it not be fun? Specifically though, my favorite thing we did there was doing that body slide with the mats. I forget the name but, the guys had the technique of getting sweet air on that thing down to a fine art and I had the privilege of carrying on the 'Superman Legacy' started by none other than the Box himself. For those of you that weren't there, I tied my shirt around my neck like a cape, and went down. The slide has three little slopes, two short slopes that serve no other purpose than to build speed, and the third, which is much bigger, is for the thrill. The trick is pulling up on your mat just as you go over the the third slope. It was awesome. It was a perfect jump, as far as jumps go. The guys at the top of the slide were cheering, Krista was wondering why she had to deal with such maniacs as only the guys in the youthgroup can be. And, amidst thunderous applause, I hit the earth, Superman.
2. Great Adventure 2004: Man, I had a sweet team, a skit that didn't work out, and I didn't know the right way to do things, but I had a blast. It was the first time for me to get out and be a leader that little kids looked up to. Which is scarry and weird and slightly awkward, but it was the coolest thing in the world for me, to get up and be a fool for Christ and to share the gosple, sowing seeds and knowing that God will use it however he wishes, but that it will be for His glory, no matter what. It was strange, and is always strange, to be handed the responsibility of sharing the Gosple, but to be set free of the outcome of the work done. Stange and yet so cool, so freeing to know that God is the one in control. Can you guess my favorite part of the Great Adventure?
3. Great Adventure 2005: This was really cool again because of the kids my teammates and I helped to bring to Christ. There was one kid named Morgan, who was an absolute nut, ADD, causing problems, loud, but when we got up to share the gosple, he sat there listening, really quiet. When I (I think I had gosple that day) finished, he got up and followed me to the 'tree' and prayed to recieve Christ. The next day he was so excited that he brought his sister, and she recieved Christ also. You could actually see him change, and you could see how much he loved God, he and his sister both. It was actually kinda freaky. I wouldn't be surprised if someday he becomes like a pastor or a missionary. That was really cool.
4. Great Adventure 2005: Yeah sorry, same year same clubs, but this is different. We had a theme every day during clubs, and the team that showed the most team spirit got Sonic drinks on Jake and Krista. On Wet n' Wild Wednesday (the coolest day, by the way) I dressed up with a snorkle, swim cap, water gun, life jacket, tube, swim goggles, and water shoes. No one else even tried. after morning clubs, we were basking in Sonicy glory.
5. Family Vacation 2004(?): Not as spritual, but we went to Colorado on a road trip. We went to lots of different places and did touristy stuff, but it was alot of fun. We did lots of hikes, and went on a jeep tour to the top of some mountains (again, it was in the summer, so there was no snow. It wasn't an especialy tall mountain.) and road and old train to Silverton.
Ok, so the last one was kinda lame, but Jake had five, and so I thought I should have five too. Uh...yeah.
hey jake its josh i was bored so i desided to send you a message ya. but this summer besides great advinture i am going to work out alot
sincerely
josh leyden
p.s. i found some awsome cristian bandthey are;cross movement,and da truth you sould listen to them the are pritty good for cristain
Post a Comment