Three straight weeks of talks geared towards being a young man of God can sting a bit. Yet, I really loved getting to talk straight with you guys about what it looks like to be a man of God. I always find these types of talks challenging and motivating. I don't know about you, but I want to be the man God wants me to be. I love that I am called to be an example of good and that God can give me the power to be self-controlled so that "after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified fro the prize" (1 Cor. 9:27). I love the idea that I can be used by God to do something great for Him...like reach this city and the students in this city.
How amazing would it be if our ministry was made up of guys that took this stuff seriously? Like if you guys really committed to live by a biblical code of conduct. Can you imagine the impact y'all could have if y'all pledged to be pure, honest, loyal, courageous, bold and servant leaders? And if you guys protected our girls and led them in what it looks like to follow hard after Christ in every area of their lives. And if y'all all gave yourself to a transcendent cause. If each one of you would just look to your own class room or band or lunch table or school and say this is what I am all about, seeing these people come into a saving relationship with Jesus Christ and then giving yourself to seeing that happen one day. What a huge thing that would be. By God's grace it can happen. We can be men that make a huge impact for God's kingdom. If only we will act like men.
I am interested in hearing from you guys about what we haven been talking about the past three weeks. I would love for you tell me what stood out and what challenged you and what you are doing as a result. I would also love to hear from the ladies about what you thought about these past three weeks and if you are ready for your turn starting this week.
I hope you all have a great week. I am looking forward to getting to see most of y'all on Wednesday.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I am pretty excited about the girls part. I almost laughed out loud at myself yesterday as I realized how furiously I was taking notes (I wonder if that will be what the guys are doing during the girls part). I really have been taking this stuff seriously, and my standards have been raised a lot. I have been so inspired, and have started seeing the guys I know with a new potential - its almost as though when I think about finding a guy like this my heart starts to rise right out of my chest and float around (thats what it feels like when I get inspired). I'm not sure I know anyone who reaches all the bars, but I know a lot of guys who could and that is awesome. Jake, I have been thinking the same thing as you. I feel really blessed to be hearing this now - most people don't get to. What will flow from the fountain of Jake's wisdom next week?
You crack me up Faith.
I think it would be awesome if we took all this seriously. I think it's sad that most people don't, but if every person in our youthgroup was setting an example for all their friends, that would be awesome. In D-groups last night we were talking about how the world just doesn't care about sexual purity, marriage, or divorce. So when we live our lives mimicking Christ, the contrast is huge, and I think it really speaks volumes to the world when we try to be young men and young women of Christ.
Post a Comment