What's the Youth Pastor Thinking?

A blog for two14 Student Minstries Southwest

Monday, March 12, 2007

The Gathering: March 11th

I feel like there are three things worth mentioning from this Sunday.

1. Stan did a great job. The talk was definitely memorable and the point was important. We must obey even when it doesn't make sense. I loved the examples of what that looks like in our life that he gave at the end of his talk. Having to love people who seem unlovable (like your little brother or that one kid in your class...), having to serve people even when we would rather be served and being commanded to share the gospel even when it is not easy or what you feel like doing. If we could obey God in just those three areas we would really be doing something for His kingdom. I look forward to hearing from y'all about how that plays out in your life.

2. I miss Jason. To me it seems like it has been a year since Jason has lead worship for The Gathering. Getting to hear him in big church this Sunday was bittersweet. He did a great job and it was a great time of worship, but since he was doing it down there we didn't have him with us. Well maybe one of these days soon he will grace us with his presence again. In fact maybe if everyone who reads this just decides to post a plea to Jason to come back to us he might show up again. Join with me in proclaiming: " Jason and Beth don't go to that wedding next week, come back to us!!!"

3. No discussion groups. Yeah, sorry about that. I missed judged the time because we weren't having worship and yet I did announcements upfront. Sorry that I made us miss the discussion groups. I am a doofus. We will have an extended time in discussion next week though and I am looking forward to hearing from y'all about what God has been teaching you lately and how that has been affecting your lives.

So those are my three observations. Now it is your turn. Let me know what you think.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

1. Stan rocked yesterday, but now I am constantly asking that burning question, "What does push and not follow through mean?"

2. We need Jason back, he rocks. While he's gone I might just have to bring in my buddies The Afters.

3. I haven't heard somebody use the word dufus in a long time. It's so much more fun than saying idiot.

Jake said...

Stan's talk was really good. Pretty funny, he broke a pot, he rapped, and I'm pretty sure he tried to play the harmonica. And I agree that we need Jason and Beth to not go to the wedding so that he can lead worship for us.

faith said...

Agreed, stan was awesome. Jake, I am pretty sure that you will have to really work at it to get back to being my favorite youth pastor, because you have never broken a pot. I was challenged and also encouraged and was even able to spur on my best friend when she really needed it with Stans message deal. Sweetness.

Jason and beth, don't go to the wedding this weekend! Come back to us!

As for the gathering overall, I just wanted to comment that I really love coming. I am always encouraged, challenged, and leave wanting to get in on the real system of the universe: its all about God and not me. I also loved that we read a psalm instead of singing last week. I love that we can worship God spontaneously. It was nice to mix it up and remember that we are not confined to a certain system. You know what I mean?

The End.

PS
"The Gathering" sounds like a creepy cult meeting that should take place in a dark attic by candle light with incantations and in the shape of a circle.

Anonymous said...

Stan was GREAT! Loved the broken pot and harmonica and yes, we need the band back.