Well, I am back from Dallas and it is really good to be home. As Dorthy so aptly stated, "There is no place like home." And with her I concur. But you could also say, "There is no place like Ben's home." And again I would concur. But sadly most of y'all would never give me a chance to concur with that statement because you wouldn't actually say it. For you don't know my brother Ben. And that is a crying shame for if there is anyone that you should know it would be Ben, or as he has come to be known as, "The Box." And so having just spent a week living with "The Box" as I attempted to sludge my way through my latest dts class I feel like a blog on brother would be appropriate.
The Box is a walking enigma. If people who knew Ben were given one word to describe him you would hear words from all sides of the spectrum. Some may say, quiet, shy, reserved, reticent, or even mute. But others would say things like, "bold, hilarious, uproarious, entertaining and even mirthful. That might leave you thinking, how in the world could one person be described as being both reticent and mirthful? Not only is that a good question, but that question, my friends, cuts to the very heart of the person that is Ben Box. To attempt to delve any deeper into the personality of Ben would be a vain attempt for he is a paradox wrapped in an enigma and then broken up into pieces for form a complex puzzle. So to help you understand The Box I shall not seek to objectively define him for that would be the definition of a labor done in vain. Instead I will paint you a picture by telling you of 2 conversations Ben and I had last week. For that is the only way for you to come to know Ben in all of his glory.
Once a upon a time, or otherwise known as last week, I stayed the week with my brother in Dallas. As I pulled up to Ben and Kendal's apartment that first night, I saw the broken down motorcycle that he had purchased while still in college, but had quite working as of late. As I entered his abode Ben and I began to talk about his transportation issues. For not only does his motorcycle not work, but the jeep that he purchased after graduating has also broken down. The conversation went something like this:
"Dude, have you heard anymore about when you jeep is going to be fixed?"
"I think it might happen in a week or two. I hope soon."
"How are you getting to work these days?"
"I take the train to the shuttle to the bus to work"
"What?"
"Yeah, it takes me a long time."
"Like how long?"
"I have to get up around 4:30."
Kendal his roommate interjects, "Seriously, I didn't know you got up that early."
"Yeah, I have to because I have to walk 20 minutes to the rail station. The train takes me into Fort Worth and lasts for about an hour, if I catch it on time. I then take the shuttle to the bus station. The bus station takes me pretty close to work, and I walk the rest of the way."
"How long is that?"
"About 2 1/2 hours for so."
"How long have you been doing that?"
"About a month."
"Do you want to use my car this week while I am in town?"
"That'd be great."
Things of note in this conversation. One, Ben didn't ask to borrow my car. Two, Kendal didn't even know how early Ben was having to get up. Three, who does this? Four, Ben likes adventure, and obviously his transportation choices reflect that. Five, when Ben tells us this story me and Kendal are amazed.
The second conversation of the week takes place on Friday. The conversation starts off with Ben saying,
"I had a pretty good day today."
"Yeah, what happened?"
"I saved my company the equivalence of my entire years salary."
"Seriously?"
"Yeah, I was working on a project that was about to be approved and I saw that this company was trying to pull one over on us by charging us for something twice. I showed it to my boss and he called the company and they tried to play it cool like it was a mistake. In the end they took off saving us over $50,000. "
"That's awesome."
"Yeah, it was cool. On top of that we all went out to a sweet steak joint for lunch."
"Did they go there because you saved them so much money?"
"I don't think so."
"What did you get?"
"The meatloaf. It was really good."
"What? You got meatloaf at a really nice steakhouse?"
"Yeah, I didn't know if the company was paying or not, so I ordered the cheapest thing on the menu."
"You could have asked. They were probably taking you there because of all the money you saved them. How did you not get a steak?"
"The meatloaf was good."
Things of note in this conversation. First, Ben sees that the other company is trying to pull a fast one and he calls them on it. Two, the company goes to a nice restaurant and Ben doesn't ask if he is having to pay for it or if they are. Three, Ben orders Meatloaf instead of asking. Four, Ben is happy with the meatloaf.
These are just two conversations, but I believe from them you are left with a pretty good picture of who The Box is. Bold (saving his company money) yet reserved (ordering meatloaf instead of asking who is paying for this) entertaining (his transportation story) and reticent (not asking to borrow my car or finding another way into work).
I could go on and on for Ben's stories are some of the best stories I have ever heard. But if you heard more you might think you have begun to figure him out and in me letting you think that I would be doing you a disservice. For no one can figure Ben out. And that is why he is a legend.
Monday, January 08, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
9 comments:
Now this is getting really confusing. There are three Jakes, and we finally got to where you are now just "Box" to simplify things, and now we have The Box. I guess that just means that you are the fake Box. Anyway, he sounds like a cool guy- but we know better from some of the stories you've told. Na, I'm just kidding, he sounds awesome.
Ben sounds like a cool guy. I just want to know how he came to be known as "the Box" because, you know, that's what we called you at first before we got lazy and switched to just "Box" like Colin said.
I think we should call Jake Box just "A Box" or "Imposter Box" or "we are too lazy and cool to just use your whole name Box". I want to meet The Box. You should tell him to come down and come to our church sometime. Yep. OK, now I've commented and I am out.
That meat loaf was good.
I feel like I should write a blog now about your reading efforts and how unprepared you were for that class.
Why not call him BenBox? He calls himself BenBox. Than you could be JBox. No Jake for you, unless of course you dispose of all other Jakes in the immediate area.
The key to understanding The Box is to understand his heritage. He grew up in a family where his brother and his mother dominated the conversation times. He's like his Dad: a deep thinker. By the time The Box gets around to comment on a topic, the other two have moved on once and again to other topics. He was a diver living among snorklers.
and who is this mysterious dbox?
?? (lingering question)
Oh no everyone, now the pastor (and Jake's dad) is reading the blogs. Quick! Everyone act all philosophical!
Daddy Box?
Post a Comment