Thought #1: Man, I am miserably sore. I mean, complain every three minutes for the past five days, want to die, feel like I am being stabbed by millions of sharp knives everywhere on my body kind of sore. It turns out I was a bit out of shape. And when I say "a bit" I really mean "ridiculously" out of shape. I discovered this humiliating fact because I began working out last week. Five workouts later and I want to cry. If Francis Shackelford challenged me to a wrestling match today my money would be with Francis. Man, I hurt.
Thought #2: Read your Bible. Doing a series for the past four weeks with one simple message really drives the point home. Since the point for this past series has been "Read God's Word" I have found myself thinking about that a lot. It was fun to see how many of my jr. high guys had begun reading the Bible more as a result of them applying what they had been learning through this series. Yet, not everyone is doing it. And so again I say, "read your Bible." If you are reading this blog and have yet to read God's Word today then let this be a reminder to you...Read your Bible. I am reading in Mark right now and it is great. Mark gets right to the point so fast. There is not beating around the bush with him. He wants us to know who Jesus is and what Jesus did. Each time I read a part of Mark's letter I am reminded again how awesome Jesus is. I find myself getting more and more excited about the day that I can hangout with Jesus like his first disciples did. (If I keep working out that day might come sooner than later.) As I read about Jesus my reoccurring thought is this guy is cool. I would want to be friends with Him. Turns out He died so I could have that opportunity. You've got to love that guy. I know I do.
Thought #3: Let's review this past week. Sunday, January 21st, I walk into my office and there sitting next to my desk is...a PS3 complete with an extra controller and Madden '07. Ridiculous. Wednesday I hook it up to the projector in the youth room and play a few games of Madden. It is amazing. Students show up for D-Groups that night and they can't believe it. I am pretty sure a couple of the jr. high guys fainted. Friday, January 26th, I find myself hooking up a Nintendo Wii to the big screen TV. Chuck and I go at it on Madden 07 on the Wii. It is amazing. I actually have to make a throwing motion with the controller to get the quarterback to throw a pass. I have to put my arms up in the air to intercept a pass. I am pretty sure that this is the closest I am ever going to get to actually playing in the NFL. It is a blast. Friday afternoon my D-Group guys show up after school and see the Wii. Again I am pretty sure a couple of them pass out. Each one says the same thing. We have 3 next generation game consoles. A 360, a PS3 and a Wii. God must love us. I concur. The Madden tournament for the Super Bowl party is going to be amazing. 8 consoles, 2 on projector screens, the Wii on the big screen. I wouldn't be surprised if a couple of the players on the Bears and Colts actually show up here on Super Bowl Sunday instead of in Miami. Speaking of the Super Bowl party...
Thought #4: The Super Bowl party is going to rock. Pizza, drinks, candy, prizes, a huge Madden Tournament, the actual game on the projector, tons of students and friends and Brian Hill sharing the gospel. It is going to be sweet. I can't wait. I think the actual game is going to be really good. I am predicting a Colts win but only by 3. I think it will be close. I am also predicting me winning the Madden Tournament outright. Brian won last year just because I let him. I don't feel near as giving this year. I am going all the way. If you see you are matched up with me you might just want to forfeit and save yourself the embarrassment. I don't want to make anyone cry, but I won't hesitate if it comes down to that. Consider yourself warned.
So yeah, that is what I have been thinking about lately. Well, all of that and 24. I love that show. But Colin and I have a running post about that on his blog. So if you want to join in on that topic you should head over there. Anyway, just to sum it up, I am really sore, read your Bible, our youth ministry is incredible and the Super Bowl party is going to rock.
8 comments:
I think I am going to pass out because of the combined force of ridiculous video games and whacky football.
Ha. You know what I think? I think that the only way I am going to enjoy the super bowl party, and invite any of my female friends to it is if the guys do something incredible. I can actually envision that day being awesome if the guys decide to try really hard to get the girls into it! No, really! What if every guy tried to get the girls into the Madden Tournament and all the other football madness? I think that could be really interesting...cuz basically I only know how football works, and have no idea what the big whoop is about it. What does everyone else think?? should this just be a guys only (and Lindsey) party?
I say that it should not. I am going to say that I personally hate football but I love playing it...ironic isn't it... We should let the girls play. I also sympathize with you Jake. I get to be sore tomorrow... I also say that I think the guys should try doing some of the things the girls like doing. That is all.
I veto Jonathan's opinion in the name of Box outright. 'Nuff said.
Though I must say that I will do something crazy, if called upon to be crazy. Because I think that craziness is crazy cool, in a maniacal sort of way.
Oh yeah, the post...I forgot for a second there. Well yeah, I mean your thoughts sounded thoughtful, if not incredibly profound, the process of said thoughts was clear: pain, God, video games, football. I think we now all see where you priorities lie Box. Good job. All around, a good post. Sporadic, but a post nonetheless. I think your work here is done.
Oh whatever Box, we all know that the only reason you are so sore is because you've been playing the new Wii way too much. Cool stuff (what is your problem Faith).
I am also a football hater but love Madden and love playing. So in essence, the game will stink as all football games do, the Madden tournament will own (and so will I, OH!), and the party overall is going to rock. I must say that Jake Hartwell has done an excellent job inviting people to it. He has pretty much all of CCPA coming (if they can get rides), and I think he got a few hobos and bailed a maximum security prisoner to bring him too. Should be a wild crowd...
I believe somewhere in your post and amongst the comments God came up too... oh that's right, the series. So reading the Bible is great. Yep, this series has showed me that 30 minutes isn't so bad afterall. Who knows- considering it is the words of God written for us, I might learn something from reading it!
I don't see myself defending the title this year. I could go on a rant of how simple and skill-less these new Madden games are, but nobody wants to hear it. I simply just don't have the experience and I don't think I'll have the luck. We'll see...
I'm inviting you for the Sports Blog so you and me can throw out our picks before the big day. I don't know what to expect from Sean.
Well, Faith, I think that the Wii should be for girls only. Even if the Madden tourny was open to the girls, I doubt the majority of them would be interested. I could see you chicas enjoying the Wii's excitingness though. You can take a vote from the girls and if they want the Wii, I'll regulate on the guys and make it happen.
If you know of anyone who would be a visitor but can't get a ride, let me/us know. We'll do our best to make sure people get to and fro.
I, for one, will probably enjoy the actual game more than the video games. I'm so old an all, that I have absolutely no skill on video games anymore. Maybe if we plugged in Madden 2003 for PS2 I'd have a fighting chance.
Isn't Krista the best youth pastors wife ever! And your not so bad either Jake.
Post a Comment