What's the Youth Pastor Thinking?

A blog for two14 Student Minstries Southwest

Monday, November 27, 2006

So This is Christmas

So last week I wrote a killer blog about the movie Happy Feet and how it was more than horrible. I went on and on about how the movie broke every children's movie law that there is and how the people that wrote it, filmed it and produced it should have to go to every elementary school in the nation and apologize in person for turning a fun looking children's movie into a animal rights agenda pushing UN involving charade. However, when I went to save the post the Internet was down and I lost the entire thing. I was so worn out from being up on my high horse for so long I didn't have it in my to write it again so I called it quits and spent the rest of the day sitting at my desk and crying as I thought about poor Happy Feet and all he had to do to save the penguin population.

But don't fear, I am back this week with new enthusiasm for blogging. And so I must begin this post with the vastly important question, "what have I been thinking?" Now you might think you know what I have been thinking about. I am sure many of y'all are thinking that I have been thinking about A&M's spectacular game against the once almighty and oh so hard to beat UT Longhorns. You might be thinking that I have been thinking about how no one thought A&M would be able to beat UT in Austin, a feat that they had not accomplished since 1994. An accomplishment that had not even taken place in this century. I must say if you were thinking that I had been thinking about that then you would be making a very good guess. But you'd be wrong.

Yes my friends I have been thinking about something else. Something grand and great and awesome and glorious. You see, I have been thinking about Christmas. In fact on Saturday Krista and I had our annual "Beginning of Christmas Day." That day always takes place the Saturday after Thanksgiving. And on that day we wake up and put some Christmas tunes on (this year we began with John Lennon's classic "So This Is Christmas" and then moved on to Sinatra's rendition of "Jingle Bells"). I then begin to rummage through all of our junk to find our Christmas decorations and Krista begins to make fudge. Ah yes, fudge. One of God's greatest gifts to mankind. A gift so good that it can really only be enjoyed once a year during Christmas time or else one could explode from all the goodness. After the fudge is made and cooling Krista and I are off to go make four key Christmas purchases. Th
e first of course is a new Chris
tmas CD. And I must say this year I picked a beauty. Sufjan Stevens Christmas. A 5 CD set complete with stickers, a comic strip and songbook. It is truly amazing. The next purchase we made was a classic Christmas DVD. This is tradition. Every year we must buy a new Christmas CD and Christmas DVD. This year I got to pick out the CD and Krista got to pick out the DVD. She choose her nostalgic favorite, "A White Christmas." After that we were off to Target to make our next key purchase, this year's Christmas Tree ornament. I think I can honestly say that we picked the best one they had. It is a wooden star with a cut-out so that we can insert a picture in it. It looks great. Once the Christmas tree ornament is picked out it is off to make the most important purchase of the day...the Christmas Tree. Of course with the picking of the Christmas Tree also come the competition of who can find the best tree first. And without going into too much detail I must say that I crushed Krista this year. In record time I came across the perfect tree. It was purchased, wrapped, thrown on top of Cloe the Corolla and escorted back to apartment 532.

Once the purchases are made "Beginning of Christmas Day" turns into a Christmas decorating extravaganza. I hang lights on the balcony, Krista decorates the house, I hang lights on the Christmas Tree, Krista hangs the ornaments on the tree and we eat fudge. Ah fudge. And then once the house is decorated and the lights are on outside and on the tree we turn off all the regular lights and we put on our favorite Christmas movie...Elf.

What a spectacular day. Once we have had "Beginning of Christmas Day" all I can really think about is Christmas. So, accordingly that is what I have been thinking about, and thus this weeks blog. And with that I leave you to think about what I've been thinking about.

12 comments:

Jake said...

Yay. And, um...yeah. I don't have much to say. Man, I should really go upstairs and finish my school work...

Roger said...

So.. The only two questions I have.. is how much Fudge did you make?? And.... When is the December Youth Leader meeting going to be?? Hehe!

Anonymous said...

Sorry to sick with the fudge Q's, but I have to ask. Does Krista through fudge squares all the way up to your third floor balcony while you hang lights? If she doesn't, I say you start a new tradition. (and make sure to invite me over when you do)

Anonymous said...

Ok, first of all, I am greatly disappointed with the last post, made by a senior in high school, who spelled "throw" as "through".

Aside from that, Jake, I cannot believe your lack in judgment in this year's "Beginning of Christmas Day" music. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you just didn't know what you missed. I will now enlighten you with the knowledge that you obviously did not previously have: Third Day has a new Christmas Album. Now, as you all know, I'm a Scrooge, especially concerning music, but even I am remotely curious what Third Day came up with.

All that aside, YAY FOR CHRISTMAS! Wow, that was difficult.

Oh, and, even though you weren't thinking about it: Yay for the Aggies! and Yay for the Cowboys!

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry, I"m on a "through" addiction right now. You must be even more of a perfectionist than I am.

Krista said...

Brian even though you spelled throw wrong I think that might just be the greatest idea ever. I will get Krista to start working her arm out now so she will be able to make some good throws next year. I hereby adopt that as the Box's new tradition.

Seanzy said...

Oh contrare my friend. I never denounced the holiday, the real one that is. And while I respect the fact that you are gung-ho with your series (and mind you I agree with a lot of it), it's my opinion that when people get the wrong idea of Christmas (see any television program or commercial) then they are in the same manner distant to the idea of it actually being about Christ's life and God's love. Now there's an exception to ever rule of course, but in my experience I've seen both scenerios played out. I've noticed this first hand in my adventures at James Bowie High. I don't discredit anything you've said, rather I tell things like they are in my field of life. I believe there's plenty of room for the Gospel, but it fits better when the proper foundation has been created.

Anonymous said...

Fudge rocks, "throw" and "through" should never be confused, Elf is hilarious but I wouldn't consider it to be what you think it is, Christmas music pretty much stinks and I would say that it should never, ever be played BEFORE CHRISTMAS EVE. Another totally off topic thing- I love tabbed internet browsing. I can switch between my comment and your post so that everything is well covered. Also, I love your "Virtual NES", that is totally incredible. A&M's win was amazing and I am sick of everyone making excuses for Texas' loss. And finally a comment about one of the worst movies of all time- Happy Feet sucks. Not only was the political agenda being pushed (blatantly), and not only was it full of (blatant) "innuendo", anti-Sea World (very blatant) scenes, and intense parts that made adults uncomfortable, most importantly I DID NOT LEAVE THE THEATER HAPPY which really defeats the movie right there. Hey, I've been to Antarctica, and I can say that its just not right. I'm still very perturbed.

Krista said...

Colin is right. Everything he said is right. Well, everything except the Christmas music thing.

Krista said...

Sean, I get what you are saying. In fact I think you said it ver well at the end of that post when you said, "I believe there's plenty of room for the Gospel, but it fits better when the proper foundation has been created."
I get that, but what I have to say is, "yeah you are right but what can you do about it?" I think there are two options. One you (and when I say you I mean anyone in particular not just you Sean) can disengage from the culture because things are not the way they should be and therefore horde the truth to yourself or two, you can engage the culture where it is at (even though where it is at is wrong) and be a light by pointing people to the truth like Linus did poor old Charlie Brown. It comes down to engaging or disengaging and Christmas is such a great time to engage the culture and point people to the real meaning behind all the celebrating. You know?

Jake said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jake said...

1 Corinthians 1:18-21

18 For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God. 19 For it is written: "I will destroy the wisdom of the wise; the intelligence of the intelligent I will frustrate." 20 Where is the wise man? Where is the scholar? Where is the philosopher of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world? 21 For since in the wisdom of God the world through its wisdom did not know him, God was pleased through the foolishness of what was preached to save those who believe.

Matthew 28:18-20

18 Then Jesus came to them and said, "All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. 19 Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age."

All this to say that we are called (by the GOD OF THE UNIVERSE no less) to go and teach his word, his truth, his commands. Our only job then is to obey. Not to make people understand, because that is something that only God can do. And that is something that is true and must be applied, no matter what field of life we are in. I'm not even talking about Christmas you guys, just about the life we live.