So I think I will end the contest this Friday and announce the winner Sunday during announcements so you better get your final entries in if you want a chance at that $15 gift certificate.
In order to tell this story well I have to give you some background. The title of this story is: "The Not So Lady's Man."
So when I met Krista I fell for her right away. However, I had to play a waiting game because there was another guy in the picture. (Another story) When I did get the chance and the courage to ask her out, 3 months later, she said no. Yeah, that's right, she said no. You see things with that other guy were still a bit complicated and she wanted to make sure that I made sure things were going to be okay on his side first. She told me to ask her again in two weeks though. So I left not completely discouraged, for she had thrown me some hope with that last line. Two weeks, I knew I could make it.
During those two weeks I set-up a time to talk to that guy to tell him that I was going to ask Krista on a date. I told him he better not put up a fight or else I would have to take him out and it wouldn't be pretty. Okay, actually I didn't say that to him. But I did talk to him and he wasn't a huge fan but he said he couldn't stop me and so I took that as a green light. Done and done.
Finally the two weeks came to an end. I asked Krista out again and this time she said yes. Nice. So I took her on a date and things went pretty good except for me being extremely nervous and getting food all over my face and stealing her desert. I guess you could say that I had a great time because she was awesome, more awesome than I realized, but I wasn't all that impressive. I didn't exactly bring my "A" game. I tried bringing it but then I realized that Krista was way out of my league and so I freaked out and started doing stupid things like not talking and getting food all over my face. I was acting like a rookie. Well, a couple of days passed and I asked her out again and very surprisingly she said yes. We went on another date but this one was much more laid back. You could even say it was more of a friends date. We played some disc golf and then went to chili's where she barely ate anything at all. When I got home from the date I again liked her more than ever, but I was not feeling very confident on my side of things. I remember telling my roommate Joey that I liked her I lot but that I thought things were progressing wrong and that we were beginning to head into "just friends status." No guy ever wants to find themselves in "just friends status" with a girl they like. I had to do something.
A week later I was hanging out at 120 thinking about how to keep from sliding into just friends status with Krista. Joey was there again so we started talking. It was a Thursday night I believe and Krista was up on campus studying at the computer lab. I was telling Joey that I feared there wasn't a spark in the relationship yet. I told him that we were relating together much more as friends than as people who were dating. I told him I had to do something. He said I ought to write her a note. I thought that was a genius idea, sure it was a little sixth grade, but cute and romantic nonetheless. Then I thought I ought to get her a flower too. He liked the idea. He then said that I ought to drop it off at her car in the parking lot of the SCC (student computer center on campus). Now I was on to something. In my mind nothing said I want to be much more than just friends than a surprise note and flower on your car. Without hesitation I was out of the door of 120 and on to the nearest grocery store to buy a flower and a card. I got a red rose and a sweet I'm interested in you card that did not say I love you because we weren't there yet and headed to campus.
I was feeling good. I was feeling like I was taking a strategic step to keep me from sliding into just friends status. I could just picture Krista finding the rose and the card on her car after a late night to studying and realizing that I had been thinking of her and her heart just melting at that spot and deciding that I was the one...or something like that. I was on top of the world. And then a raindrop hit my windshield. And then another and another. Rain. I couldn't believe it. I was doomed. Destined for just friends status.
I got to the parking lot but had no idea where her car was. I parked and began looking. Row after row to no avail. I was drenched and so was the card. I remember thinking this has got to be the most desperate thing I have ever done. Finally I found her car. I put the rose under the driver side windshield wiper and when I went to put the card there too it occurred to me that there was going to be no way in the world that she would be able to read it. It was soaked and would only get worse. I was stuck. I just stood there in the pouring rain thinking if I don't put a card here claiming that this rose came from me she might think it was from some other mystery guy and she would get excited about that because the guy that was trying to date her was really not very good at it and it felt more like a friendship than anything. My genius plan was backfiring on me. Some mystery guy was trying to lay claim to my rose.
I had to make a decision so I finally decided to just leave the rose there with no card and pray that when she got it she would hope it was from me and not the dreaded mystery guy. You could say I rolled the dice. Then I headed back to my car. But then another idea came to mind. I thought I could go and find her in the SCC and tell her what I had done so she wouldn't get freaked out when she came down to her car in the pouring rain and jumped in her car and turned on the wiping blades just to see a random rose scrapping up her windshield. And that way she would know that mystery man wasn't as romantic as me. So I headed inside. I was drenched, really drenched. I walked through the first floor but Krista was no where to be found. I headed up to the second floor and finally there she was as cute as ever. I headed her way but when I got close I realized she was there with one of her roommates and that scared me. On top of that I realized what a total dork I looked like. Water was actually dripping off of me. And what was I going to tell her? "Hey, there is a rose on your car that I put there and now I am having to tell you because I apparently have no romantic skills whatsoever. And I wanted to make sure that you didn't think some mystery guy put it there and fall in love with him and just want to be friends with me." I was doomed. So I turned and walked away.
I headed out to my car again and this time I got in and drove off. I remember thinking that I should consider retirement from this whole dating thing, I just didn't have it. I was a lady's man no more. I got home and my roommates had a great time laughing at me. I told the whole story and they confirmed that I should consider retirement. I went and changed out of my soaking wet clothes and waited by the phone hopefully. I kept picturing Krista calling some random guy that she hoped had dropped off the rose. I was getting sick.
To be honest I don't remember how this story actually ends. I either called Krista to claim my flower or she called me. Either way she had hoped it had come from me and she had not gotten scared to death by it scrapping up her windshield. She told me it was the most alive rose she had ever received because it had gotten more than enough water. I told her that was my plan all along. From that point on things began to progress pretty well between us. I didn't retire and she didn't just want to be friends. In the end she actually married me and I haven't stopped buying her flowers since. And so I guess you could say we lived happily ever after...The End.
Monday, October 16, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
17 comments:
That was pretty romantic. It is heartwrenching to hear of your anguish, and I am so glad that it turned out well in the end. Well, I've gotta say that it was a great story, BUT, unfortunately jason's and yours are pretty tied if his isn't ahead of yours. It's a tough call, the pouring rain or the song in the office, the rose or the aquarium....
Jake, you could not have set up my story any better. I happen to have a story that comes in between the rose story that proves Jake is no ladies' man and the "happily ever after" ending to Jake's story. Jake almost ruined the "happily ever after" a few weeks after the rose took him out of the "friend zone". So here is my first and only OFFICIAL entry in the greatest stories contest:
A few weeks after the giving of the rose in Jake's last story, things were going well for Jake. He and Krista continued to go on dates, and he was included in our weekly dinner and "Alias" watching parties. He and Krista both walked around smiling all the time as one does when new love begins. Perhaps things were going so well for Jake, he didn't know what to do. He let his guard down, and made another rookie mistake. As Jake soon learned, caniving, dishonest boys have no place in Krista's life, and she had 3 roommates that would make sure of this.
Since things had been going so well between Jake and Krista, he decided it was time that Krista met his parents (dun-dun-dun). Now, the very idea of meeting your significant other's parental units would terrify anyone. In fact, Krista was so unsure if her and Jake were even ready for this step, she didn't even accept Jake's offer at first. I mean, Jake is the OLDEST child in the fmaily (pressure) and Krista was the first girl he was going to be bringing home in a LONG time (more pressure). He also was a senior in college, and let's face it, if you tell your parents about a girl at that age they are already thinking grandchilren! (LOTS more pressure)After pondering long and hard, and praying about it for several days, Krista cautiously accepted Jake's request.
As most of you know, Jake's dad is a pastor (add even more pressure on Krista's tiny little shoulders). Pastor Box was speaking at an "event" not too far from College Station and Jake had asked Krista to join him that Sunday morning to go hear his dad speak and have lunch with his parents after. Anyone who knows Krista knows how nervous she gets when meeting new people, especially important ones. In fact, she is usually so nervous that she doesn't eat hardly anything (hence the Chili's visit in Jake's story). I don't think she ate anything the whole day or night before Jake was coming to pick her up for the "big meeting." Jake also should have known better than to make her eat in front of his parents - knowing that only makes her more nervous.
Finally Sunday morning came. Krista had hardly slept the night before, and changed her outfit several times that morning - wanting only to look perfect for Mr. & Mrs. Box. All the roommates (there were 4 of us total) got up to wish Krista off, and prayed for her trip and that God would ease her nervousness. Well, about 5 minutes into the trip, Jake drops a bomb on Krista. All our praying had apparently done no good. Jake had "neglected" to mention to Krista when asking her to accompany him, that the so-called "event" his dad was speaking at was actually a FAMILY REUNION. All of Jake's family, members from BOTH sides, was going to be there. All wanting to know who the cute girl was that was with Jake, and were they dating, were they engaged, did he want to marry her? Enough pressure to make most girls pass out. Now, Jake knew that if he had told Krista the truth up front, she never would have agreed (he admitted this to her). And while he did offer to turn the car back around and take Krista home upon telling her this, what was Krista to do? Turning the car around would make Jake late. Jake had already told everyone she was coming and if he showed up alone, he would look terrible. She was left with no choice but to stay in the car with an evil, deceitful boy.
Jake dropped Krista off back at the house that afternoon. While she ate a sandwich (for she had not eaten in 2 days from all the nervousness and was starving) she told us all what had happened; how Jake had tricked her into meeting everyone in his family, how she was so unprepared and felt like she had no choice but to go, and how she was sure that she made such a bad impression Jake would not want to date her anymore. (She really did think that). Well, the other 3 roommates got together and decided that this was unacceptable behavior. I mean, we all really liked Jake. He was a great guy, a Godly leader, and up until now had acted well above reproach. We knew how much Krista liked him, and we did not want his stupidity to screw everything up for our dear friend. So we decided to take matters into our own hands.
That same Sunday night there was a college leadership meeting at our house, and Jake would be attending. We also knew that Jake was planning to stay after and watch Alias with all of us as was typical on Sundays. So, while the meeting was going on, we concocted a plan. Jake knew something fishy was going on, for we had all given him the cold shoulder and shot evil stares his way during the meeting. After the meeting was over and most people had cleared out the plan was set in motion. (Krista had NO IDEA we were doing any of this...which made it that much better!) The 3 of us (myself, Liz and McKay) tackled Jake, tied his hands and feet together with some rope and took him out to Liz's SUV. We threw him in the back and blindfolded him. To make matters worse for Jake, he acted as if he did not know why the brutal fate had befallen him. Even saying "Whatever I did, I'm really sorry." We reminded him of his caniving trickery and informed him that this type of behaviour would not be tolerated. Krista deserved better. We wanted to help make sure he never treated her this way again, both for his sake and for Krista's.
After driving around for 10-15 minutes we pulled into a large abandoned parking lot. Now, it was very dark at this point, and it was sometime in November so it was quite cold out. And to our delight, it was also wet and drizzly outside. Jake of course never wears any shoes other than flip flops, and had on a short sleeved shirt and jeans, so he would be quite cold outside. We took him out of the back of the SUV, stood him up, and tied his hands to a light pole. We told him to count backwards from 100, and then we left. (Ok, so we didn't totally leave, we drove away and hid so we could watch from a distance). After a few minutes had passed, Jake began stirring, and somehow managed to untie himself and take off the blindfold. He then began walking aimlessluy around the parking lot, wondering where he was and how he would ever make it home. He was also wondering if Krista had put us up to this and was this her way of breaking up with him?
We eventually drove over to pick him up and took him back to our house. He was very sorry and promised he would never do anything that stupid again. Jake came very close to putting himself back in the dreaded "friend zone" that day. Thankfully for everyone, Krista decided that anyone who would go through that and still come back over to our house was worth keeping around, and she forgave him. And after that, the rest is history...everyone lived happily ever after. (Although, to this day Jake is still a little jumpy when all 4 roommates get together.)
OH YES!!!! I'm going to give a standing 'O' to Lindsey on that one! Classic... I must say Jake that I was playing the Buzz-in game through the first half of your story and probably winning, and it got a little better but then I read this. Wow... that was awesome. You might have been able to win if you had posted that one, but I guess some things you just don't want to be put on the internet. The best part is that she didn't right a story about herself becuase the one about you was better- ouch! Oh wow... funny stuff.
TECHNICAL FOUL!
That's right Box. Romance stories should be illegal from the contest. You and Jason both shouldn't get to count those, because lets face it, how can any of us compete with marriage: the true sign of TRUE LOVE.
I mean sure my relationship stores are cute and usually funny and awkward, but that can't hold a dime next to TRUE FREAKING LOVE. Honestly, I would admit that your story was the best, but then I'd be throwing in the towel and I'm not quite willing to do that seeing as how I can still beat all of you with my climactic approach to story #3 which you can all expect Thursday Night. That's right, it's on. Be ready Box. Be ready.
Lindsey, Lindsey, Lindsey. Was what I did really as bad as you made it sound? I know the answer to that. The truth is I was such a rookie that I did not see things from Krista's point of view and so I foolishly dragged her along on to meet my extended family. My only defense of why I did that was because it wasn't exactly a family reunion it was more a memorial for my aunt that had died a year ago and her husband had put together a music memorial for her with sweet artists like Ruthy Foster and Shake Russel other great Texas Musicians that you wouldn't know. So in my mind I was inviting her to see good music and hear my Dad preach on Sunday morning. The huge oversight on my part was not thinking about the whole family aspect and how that would make Krista feel. I was no lady's man. I can honestly say I am married to Krista purely due to God's grace, Krista's grace, and her roommates sinister plan.
Rookie mistake or not, it makes for a great story...and you marrying Krista was probably more God's grace than our sinister plans, but it was fun. And, for your information, I do know who Ruthy Foster is, and have seen her live a few times. I am not as inept when it comes to Texas music as you think I am.
both stories are great, but i disagree with sean because he said that jake's was the best. MINE was #1, then Lindsey's, maybe then Jake's. even romance aside, my house-wrapping-cop-calling story takes the cake.
jake,
hilarious man, you crack me up.
lindsey,
simply genius! too bad he got loose from the ropes. but it's a good thing it was the three of you female types cause if a bunch of dudes would have done it, there would have been no driving back to pick him up.
Lindsey, that was AWESOME hnads down!!! (OK, so I was playing buzz-in too, but it was even better the second time!!!) I want you to know that I am not one of those silly people who go throwing exlamation points areound. That was an awesome story!!! Plus it was slamming the youth pastor, defending the most awesome youth pastor's wife ever, and still managing to convey your brilliance and cleverness at the same time! Amazing!!!
Man, you guys are stressing me out just listening to your dating stories. Box, I don't blame you for doing what you did, because, as unintentional as it was, if Krista didn't like you enough to go and see your family, then what's the point? Lindsey, it was awesome. High-five *high-fives with Lindsey*. Sean, you can't try to disqualify Box's and Jason's romance stories on the basis of said stories being romance stories, especially after trying to pass off your first story as a romance story. Their stories deserve to be in the competition just as much as the rest of our stories because they actually have romance stories to tell. Unlike you. *throws a cream pie at Sean's face*. Jason, STOP WITH THE SMACK TALK!! For you have no smacking with which to back up your talking. And to wrap up this splendiferous comment, I will just want to ask, Faith, "that was AWESOME hnads down"?? I pity the fool!
Hey Jake, don't forget "areound". Sorry- PSAT tomorrow, the book I'm working in even said to look for mistakes in writing. Although I don't think spelling counts, but still I must help out Jake. But then I would say, "Jake, why must you pick on your sister for type-os?" So here's my take on all these posts:
Box- the story was okay but not quite as romantic as Jason's (although funnier than his)
Lindsey- she had the best one on the Box blog so far. Extremely funny and almost one big, long streaming smack talk to Jake.
Sean- he is just jealous that his cute little love stories aren't as good as MARRIAGE for goodness sake and wants them banned because he knows he can't beat that. Sorry man, weak argument. However I'm hoping you will produce some good results with your final story.
Jason- he was totally in his rights to smack-talk (and that's what Box wanted), I just think that if he plans on smack-talking he better plan on his stories winning (and I would say he's well paired with Box in the running).
Faith- despite some typing errors, I totally agree with the assesment of Lindsey's story, but I would have to say (in response to her first post) that Jason won the romantic story "hnads down".
Jake- I would say I'm impartial on Jake's decision as stated in Lindsey's story, and I agree about Sean (I add another *pie in Sean's face*). I disagree about Jason, he has that right. As for correcting Faith, SHAME (with an added *hypocritical finger wag*).
That straightens out my views on the situation, and I'm done now. I think that long comment spelled out everything I wanted to say so that I don't have to come back again. Sweet- the polls should be interesting.
jake, that was the best comment in the history of comments. jake you are AWESOME!!! (I knew I loved my brother...)
*pounds fist with jake amidst uncontrollable laughter*
i hereby retract all talking of the smack nature. if my story was indeed good or romantic or whatever, it's only because beth is the most amazing woman in the world and my love for her brings out the best in me. on top of that, my love for my savior is what enables me to be even a half-decent boyfriend/fiance/husband. in short, jason=worthless, beth=the best, god=almighty! thank you for humbling me my friends.
Ahh... isn't that cute (but it doesn't make us want to vote for you any more than before). A very noble gesture Jason.
Nice Linds! I'm so glad you shared this story! I really think that Jake pretty much owes his whole marriage to us--I mean, if we wouldn't have taught him that lesson then he may not have figured things out with Krista. I think we should get some kind of continuing compensation for that--what do you think???
liz, whoever you are, though i have nothing to do with it, i very much agree with you...you all should definitely get compensated. not necessarily in monitary form, however, i'm thinking some type of slave work that he has to perform monthly. washing dishes, laundry, lawn work, pedecure, etc.
you better get on it jake. i expect your business proposal on my desk by monday. and did you get the memo about the TPS reports?
Your mom's TPS reports...
Krista never blogs, she only pretends
Post a Comment